About Me

About me

My name is Nik and I am Mum to two small boys called Sam and Oliver and partner to the long suffering Ali and we are based in Devon, England.

My blog is about my journey though life, the highs, the lows and all the fun and messy bits in-between.

It is a personal blog that is written by me and only features my opinions. I do work on behalf of businesses and companies, writing posts and reviews but I will only give you my honest thoughts, if I love it or hate it I will tell you.

If you would like to get in touch with me or my mini monsters please contact me at
themummymonster1@gmail.com





Monday 8 January 2018

Cervical Cancer


This post is a bit more of a rant on a serious note. Cervical Cancer!!

 

I was recently sent an article that had been taken from The Manchester Evening News. Its headline was “The Jade Goody effect has long gone as smear test rate hits 20 year low” Now I mostly remember Jade Goody being on Big Brother but I also remember how she tragically died from cervical cancer leaving two small boys behind.

 


 

Before Jade’s death she did everything in her power to campaign for women to have regular smear tests or cervical screening tests as they are now known. The amount of women undertaking their routine screening rocketed and this had an effect on the amount of women who caught their cancer early enough to receive treatment rather than full on chemo.

 

So why has the amount of women having their screening tests done dropped? Yes it is embarrassing to have to get your lady bits out and have equipment used to scrape inside of you but seriously are women too proud to do this for 5 minutes max when it could save your life?

 

It’s not even that often!! Depending on your age it could be every three or five years. I just don’t get it.

 

Of course everyone has a right to not attend and apparently the drop in numbers attending has not been helped since the NHS updated its cervical screening leaflet to say that it is not compulsory to attend. Now most people know it’s not compulsory to attend the screen but do they really need to advertise the fact?

 

I simply cannot understand why a woman would put embarrassment in front of a lifesaving five minutes. Plus the health professional won’t care if you haven’t paid your lady bits any attention recently, I am guessing they have seen it all, including the lady who quickly wiped her bits before her appointment with a flannel she had used the previous evening in the bath with a glitter bath bomb!!! Lol doh!!! (Just for information, that woman was not me!! Honest!!)

 

So please do your family and yourself a favour and book in for the test and be a brave lady, be a strong woman who laughs in the face of a speculum. Speculum sounds like a word Miranda would like “Speculum” Sorry I am heading off topic!!

 

See you didn’t think you would be reading about Speculums tonight did you?? Lol

 

For more information about the tests please visit: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-screening/

 

Cervical Cancer Screening Week is 22-28th January 2018 more information can be found at jostrust.org.uk/ccpw

 

#smeartests #cervicalscreening #speculum #bebrave #itsjustfiveminutes #getitbooked #doesntmatterifyouhaventshaved!! #getyourladybitsout #fiveminutesorlife #cervicalcancer #smearforsmear

 

3 comments:

  1. A couple of minutes of slight discomfort for a potentially life-saving procedure is surely worth it. (Makes note to self to double check when my next one is due). #devonbloggers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urgh I really hate having this, but as you say it's a few minutes of discomfort and embarrassment that could possibly save your life x

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one enjoys it but it’s got to be done!!😁

    ReplyDelete

The Extreme Stunt Show

  Extreme Stunt Show   So this week we should have been in France but it was obviously cancelled due to the naughty bug, as it’s known...